(No prizes, but if you can answer them all without googling you get bragging rights.)
- “Red Water (Christmas Mourning)” is a song by what gothic metal band?
- The “caganer,” a guy with his pants down defecating on the ground, is a popular addition to Nativity scenes in what country?
- What was the name of Ebenezer Scrooge’s first employer?
- Who wrote “A Visit From Saint Nicholas” (aka “‘Twas the Night Before Christmas”)?
A) Gerard Manley Hopkins
B) Charlotte Mew
C) Clement Clarke Moore
D) Coventry Patmore
E) Stephen Crane
- In Nightmare Before Christmas, what are the three trick-or-treaters who kidnap Santa named?
- In Die Hard (which takes place at Christmas so it totally fits this category shut up) Hans Gruber’s right-hand-man Karl was played by Alexander Godunov. What was Godunov’s main career?
A) NFL running back
B) Ice skater
E) Ballet dancer
- The animated special How the Grinch Stole Christmas! was narrated by this well-known horror actor (who also voiced the Grinch).
- The carol “In the Bleak Midwinter” is based on a poem by whom?
A) Christina Rossetti
B) Alfred, Lord Tennyson
C) Algernon Charles Swinburne
D) Elizabeth Barrett Browning
E) Rudyard Kipling
- In Gremlins, Randall Peltzer discovers a small, furry creature in an antique store in Chinatown whilst searching for a Christmas present for his teenage son. What is this creature, which his son names Gizmo, called?
- The “modern” version of Santa Claus as a jolly, portly, bearded fellow was created by what cartoonist in 1863?
A) Charles Keene
B) James Gillray
C) John Leech
D) Thomas Nast
E) John Tenniel
(Answers below the fold)
- Type O Negative
- B) Spain (it’s centered in Catalonia but has spilled out into surrounding areas)
- C) Clement Clarke Moore
- Lock, Shock, and Barrel
- E) Ballet dancer
- Boris Karloff. Bonus fact: The song “You’re a Mean One, Mr. Grinch” was sung (uncredited) by Thurl Ravenscroft, who also voiced one of the ghosts in Disneyland’s Haunted Mansion.
- A) Christina Rossetti
- D) Thomas Nast