(No prizes, but if you can answer them all without googling you get bragging rights.)
- Edgar Allen Poe’s short story “The Gold Bug” helped popularize detective fiction and inspired Robert Louis Stevenson’s novel Treasure Island. Where does the story take place?
A) Solomon’s Island, Maryland
B) Hangman Island, Massachusetts
C) Sullivan’s Island, South Carolina
D) Pine Island, Florida
E) Reedy Island, Delaware
- This darkly witty vocalist pokes gentle fun at the goth scene with albums titled “The Devil’s Bris,” “Ooky Spooky,” and “Raised by Bats.”
- In The Hunger, the vampire Miriam (played by Catherine Deneuve) doesn’t bite her victims; she instead cuts a vein with a blade attached to what kind of amulet?
C) Celtic Knot
D) Eye of Horus
- This mythological Persian monster has the body of a lion, a human head with three rows of sharp teeth, a voice like a trumpet, and a tail like a scorpion.
- After leaving Switchblade Symphony, Tina Root moved on to what solo trip-hop project?
A) Massive Attack
D) Second Person
E) Tre Lux
- This classic novella recounts a governess’ tale of the children in her care being haunted by two ghosts, “Miss Jessel” and “Peter Quint.”
- H.P. Lovecraft’s Miskatonic University is located in the fictitious town of Arkham in what U.S. state?
C) New Hampshire
E) Rhode Island
- This Dan Simmons SF/horror novel, titled after one of John Keats’ epic poems, follows a group of “pilgrims” with dark secrets traveling toward a mysterious, ancient, and deadly shrine on an alien world.
- In The Bride of Chucky, what is the name of Chucky’s girlfriend (voiced by Jennifer Tilley)?
- This Italian band, whose hits include “Heaven’s a Lie,” “Swamped,” “Spellbound,” and “Fragments of Faith” has a name which translates as “Empty Spiral.”
(Answers below the fold)
- C) Sullivan’s Island, South Carolina
- B) Ankh
- E) Tre Lux
- The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
- A) Massachusetts
- D) Tiffany
- Lacuna Coil